Is your gym closed due to COVID-19?
Do you miss working out during the lockdown?
With the fear of COVID-19 over our heads, going to the gym or joining fitness studios seems too big of a risk to take. While a home workout may seem like a good idea during the lockdown, it is not the safest option out there. Working out requires targeting different muscle groups, and with the trainers not in the picture, it becomes difficult to know if we are doing everything right. You might end up spending hours working out and not target a single muscle group due to wrong posture, or worse, you might injure yourself while doing an exercise routine the wrong way altogether. Don’t lose hope; we still have a way to beat the lockdown with an exercise — the oldest exercise known to humankind: WALKING and RUNNING!
During the pandemic, our safest option is walking and jogging while practicing social distancing, of course. It is the easiest way to keep the body in shape while outrunning the stress of the pandemic at the same time. And the only equipment you require is a good pair of running shoes! Choosing the right shoes for your feet is the most essential part when you decide to jog. They are not only crucial for comfort but play a vital role in preventing running injuries!
With so many options in the market, it becomes hard to select the ideal running shoes for our feet. Well, don’t worry, we are here to help you out! This article has everything you need to know in order to choose the perfect pair for you. Read on to find out which shoes are work best to prevent running injuries!
Types of Running Shoes:
A great pair of running shoes not only make your run a comfortable experience but also boosts your efficiency at the same time! There are many factors that you need to consider selecting your running gear when it comes to running shoes. From your unique foot type and training goals to your training surfaces, everything affects the quality of run you may experience. For example, Trail shoes might look like a perfect pair of professional running shoes. However, they are specifically made for mountains and woodland runners. Using them on our regular track might predispose you to injury due to a lack of cushioning in the spiked shoes.
What to look for in a good pair of Running Shoes:
- Thick rubber outsole to provide better shock absorption.
- A shock-absorbent midsole that provides a stiffer compression to handle every kind of step – rigid or soft.
- Padding in the heel and footbed for a comfortable walk.
- A deeper heel cup and arch support to increase shoe stability.
- Breathable and lightweight mesh and synthetic uppers
Here are the three most popular categories you need to keep in mind for running shoes to prevent injuries.
Shock Resistant and Shock Absorbing for Men And Women
Running can place a strain on your lower limbs and feet, leading to discomfort and pain. However, we can easily avoid them by choosing the shoes that come with shock-absorbing and shock-resistant technologies. The shock resistant shoes have many health benefits, including:
- These shoes place less strain on your knees. The shoes absorb the shock and hence have a low impact on the knees.
- The comfort of shock-absorbing shoes makes sure your feet do not ache even after an hour of running.
- The proper padding of the shoes ensures that you have a comfortable walk or run, avoiding any kind of foot or lower limb problems.
The Best Shock Absorbing Shoes on Market:
1. Asics gel contend 4
- The gel midsole of Asics contends 4 provides the ultimate shock absorption system while distributing the foot impact efficiently during the run.
- The sock liner is moisture-wicking, ensuring dryer feet. Moreover, it is removable and can easily be replaced by orthotic support.
- The flex grooves at the forefoot provide flexibility.
- The cushioning effect due to EVA foam usage makes Asics gel contend 4 a good match for a comfortable casual run.
Buy Asics men’s gel-contend 4 running shoes here
Buy Asics women’s gel-contend 4 running shoes here
2. Brooks Ghost 11
- Made from BioMoGo and DNA midsole material, Brooks ghost 11 provides cushioning that adapts to the wearer’s foot. Its shock-absorbing technology disperses the impact efficiently on landing while providing a smooth roll over on the next stride. A heavy runner will experience firm sole, where are fast runner will get an efficient energy return from underneath the foot.
- The stretchy mesh upper and the external heel counter ensure that your foot is wrapped perfectly, allowing little to no foot movement inside the shoe.
- The Omega Flex grooves on Brooks Ghost 11 allow unimpeded movement throughout the run.
Buy Brooks ghost 11 women’s shoes here
Buy Brooks ghost 11 men’s shoes here
3. Nike Zoom Pegasus Turbo 2
- The zoomX midsole foam on the Nike Pegasus Turbo 2 provides a high-rebound cushioning effect. It has sponge-like impact absorption and is quick to regain its shapes providing rebound for the next stride.
- The grid-shaped thin rubber outsole offers robust traction.
- Nike turbo 2‘s synthetic mesh upper is featherlight and breathable.
Buy Nike Pegasus turbo 2 women’s running shoes here
Buy Nike Pegasus turbo 2 men’s running shoes here
4. Brook Transcend 7
- The guide rail system in the midsole acts as a bumper when it comes to shock absorption. It will allegedly hinder the side to side movement of the knee.
- The DNA Loft foam makes it midsole softer, increasing comfort by providing ample consistent cushioning throughout the shoe.
- The upper mesh is simple yet breathable.
- Brook Transcend 7 is a perfect stability shoe.
Buy women’s Brook Transcend 7 running shoes here
Buy men’s Brook Transcend 7 running shoes here
5. Brooks Catamount
- The soft DNA flash midsole provides shock absorption while being nimble and bouncy at the same time.
- Brooks catamount’s thin layered mesh upper is supportive and doesn’t stretch with time. The perforation grid on the midfoot and toe area makes Brook Catamount breathable.
- The heel cup is streamlined while the heel counter is rigid, creating a secure fit.
- The heel collar is extra padded to provide comfort and extra security.
Buy Brook Catamount running shoes here
6. Asics Gel Nimbus 20
- The Asics Nimbus 20 is made from two foams. The upper layer is speedy foam providing soft landing and energetic re-bouncing. Whereas the second flyte foam, EVA foam, offers a firm midsole and supportive feel with durability.
- The rearfoot and forefoot GEL cushioning ensure maximum shock absorption.
- The progressive mesh upper provides additional forefoot comfort and a better fit.
- The plastic heel clip of gel nimbus 20 provides an excellent grip, while plush padding makes it more comfortable.
Buy men’s Asics nimbus 20 running shoes here
Buy women men’s Asics nimbus 20 running shoes here
Running Shoes for Flat Feet
While some people are flat-footed by birth, others have flattened arches due to muscle weakness. Each condition needs a very specific kind of running shoes to avoid the easy and pain-free walk.
The best running shoes for flat feet:
1. Asics Gel Kayano 26
The lightweight and smooth Asics Gel Kayano 26 is considered to be one of the best shoes for flat-footed runners. Its midsole has a soft layer of flyte foam Lyte beneath a thick GEL layer providing dual-layered shock absorption. The high-density medial post just below the arch prevents overpronation and provides enough cushioning for the long run. The EVA foam sock liner fits well on foot anatomically. The non-stretchy, tighter mesh around the arch provide a secure fit. Lastly, the high mileage outsole rubber of gel Kayano 26 makes it durable.
Buy men’s Asics gel Kayano 26 running shoes here
Buy women’s Asics gel Kayano 26 running shoes here
2. Brook Hyperion
The best feature of Brook Hyperion Elite is the carbon plate that is placed in the DNA Flash midsole offers a combination of soft as well as firm cushioning while stabilizing stack height. It also provides a fast heel to toe transition.
Buy women’s Brook Hyperion running shoes here
Buy Men’s Brook Hyperion running shoes here
3. Nike Epic React Flyknit 2
This well-cushioned yet lightweight running shoe provides a smooth and responsive ride. The react foam is durable, and the widened midsole flare provides ample support. The forefoot and Toe-box are conforming and accommodating where are heel and midfoot grips are secure. The upper of Nike epic react fly knit three is smooth and conforming.
Buy men’s Nike epic react flyknit 2 running shoes here
Buy women’s Nike epic react flyknit 2 running shoes here
4. Brook Cascadia 14
The Brook Cascadia 14 comes with Bio MoGo DNA cushioning, which provides the perfect blend between cushioning and responsiveness. It has a comfortable and conforming element mesh upper that is durable and breathable. The well-padded heel collar of brooks Cascadia provides great stability, support, and protection. The outsole of this pair is Trailtacksole, which is a durable sticky rubber compound that can perform in all conditions providing excellent traction.
5. Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36
The reflective and water repellant Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36 performs well in all kinds of weather! The EVA foam midsole casing covering a Zoom air unit makes the ride in this pair a bit still. However, the stiffness is easily covered by the blown-foam insole that is removable. The firm chassis allows the runner to speed up without worrying about the sink spot, whereas the rubber bottom facilitates smooth transitioning. Nike zoom Pegasus is wrapped in an engineered seamless meshwork giving it a clean and comfortable look.
Buy men’s Nike e Air Zoom Pegasus 36 running shoes here
Buy Nike e Air Zoom Pegasus 36 women running shoes here